¡TONE UP! is a new series of choral courses led by the composer and conductor Antony Pitts, the founder of TONUS PEREGRINUS and Artistic Director (2016–2022) of The Song Company, and his colleagues. These courses are aimed at anyone interested in toning up their ensemble-singing skills, covering a range of musical abilities and experience, from student and community singers to experienced professionals. Throughout 2023 we are commemorating the 400th anniversary of William Byrd with his magnificent vocal polyphony at the centre of our exploration of early manuscripts and modern editions. The second ¡TONE UP! of 2023 will take place in Sydney at St Martin’s, Killara from Friday 17 to Sunday 19 March. Dates of forthcoming NSW rural residential and Melbourne non-residential courses will be announced shortly.
At every ¡TONE UP!, you will have the opportunity to:
- Enhance your ensemble-singing skills, especially intonation, rhythm, and text
- Expand your singing network and make new musical friends
- Develop confidence singing alongside experienced musicians
- Gain historical insight into the music of the Renaissance
- Explore the music of the Renaissance from the original notation
- Get the composer perspective on music for voices
- Perform newly learnt repertoire in front of an audience on the final day
Knowledge will be gained in tutti and breakout small ensemble sessions, with some additional options for individual mentoring and coaching. Antony and his colleagues will share their experience conducting, singing, and composing/editing a wide range of a cappella repertoire from the last thousand years.
photocredit: Giselle Haber, 2022 Australian Jewish Choral Festival